Monday, June 04, 2007

FOBilicious: History of japanese chick fashion



I've always tried to describe the whole kogal/ganguro/yamamba scene in Japan to my friends, but the only way to really understand it is to go there and see for yourself. But this video is the next best thing. I've not seen anything remotely like it outside of Japan. Social scientists will tell you it's a knee-jerk reaction to the traditionally austere female role in Japanese culture, they are the Japanese equivalent of the free lovin' easy riders of the 60s. A lost generation or bleeding edge feministas, regardless, it's damn ugly but refreshingly creative and eccentric, a real eyesore but you gotta admire their audacity and pure sass. Fugly and repulsive... yes, but these girls represent the most powerful gender class in Japan today and they know it. While I was in Japan during the height of the yamamba craze in '97, I couldn't believe the droves of them strutting the streets of Shibuya. I understand it's since been long on it's way out and I'm curious to find out what the latest extreme angry chick fashion is.

Prada anyone?

No comments: